Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It's Kind Of A Funny Thing...

Right now it seems all my posts are about B&B's and our anniversary. So sorry about that. But the thing is that if you know me or anything about me you know I...LOVE...THE...FALL! I love everything about it! I love the colors, the smell in the air, the festivals, the fairs, pumpkins and apple picking and above anything else in the fall that I love, I love love love Halloween! It is my favorite holiday beyond all other holidays. There is just a wonderful nostalgic, wholesome, warm and fun feeling behind the whole season. Okay so now back to how the Fall and B&B's tie in together.

In October it will be mine and John's 5 year anniversary and I wanted to go somewhere that we could celebrate this milestone. Every year we do a "Haunted House Crawl". We start out early in the evening and head to every (almost every) haunted house in the area. We have done that for the last 4 years and we will do it again this year. But I wanted to do something in addition to it all. Just this year. And then when we hit 10 years we will do something then too. So not big big every year, but every once in a while to remind us how far we have come as a couple and individuals.

Okay, so yesterday my heart was broken for the fact that we could not go to "Irish Hollow"...the most decadent place I have ever seen or hope to one day go (maybe our 10?!). But I cannot ask John to spend that much on something like that. So I went on-line looking for something less expensive, but just as memorable. Some place that did not look like a doily and an antiques roadshow had had a drunken bender at. And some place that was affordable and things to go do and was intimate (no television, no phones). Someplace that me and John could really reconnect and feel as we did when he first asked me out. Not that we are sleeping in separate rooms or any such nonsense. But just a chance for us to be really alone with one another and just...be. Simple as that.

So I'm looking and looking and wallah! I found the complete, absolute total opposite of "Irish Hollow". The only comparisons are the beautiful surroundings and well it is in a cabin. But the cabin, well safe to say it is rustic. Rustic in the fact there is no...ready for this...no 1)running water, 2) electricity and no....well aren't those two the most important!? I am not kidding you, there is no toilet, no electricity and no running water. There is an ancient (1950's) little gas stove in it for warmth(?), heating up your bath water and cooking. A fire pit outside, a privy (outhouse, cutely decorated though) nearby, a swing on the front porch, a cozy double bed loaded with quilts and a warm and cozy decor. And for 2 days in isolated bliss it's going to run us $200. That's it! I can do that...actually it is already saved up. And we might have to pick up some battery powered candles and a lantern or two. But other than that and some appropriate clothes for hiking we are set!

Just so no one worries too badly, there is a main house a short distance up the road for quests of the cabin to head up to and shower in a enclosed space with running water you do not have to carry up there yourself, so John is relieved about that. And toilets too I am assuming (safely).

Okay why you must be asking did I literally do a full 360 and go the route of the 1800's all of a sudden? Because I realized that after I got all squeamish about the outhouse, I realized John must think I "that" kind of woman. "That" kind of a woman meaning the kind that if her car broke down or the power went out for days in the middle of a snowstorm, that I would crawl up in a ball in a corner and not be able to take care of myself. That I am that helpless without someone to take care and shelter me. Nope I am determined to make him change his mind. So yes we are going the exact opposite route and it will be awesome.

Think about having to walk in the woods for firewood, cooking over a fire pit, sipping hot cider on the front porch. Dawn just breaking as we walk to the main house for a shower. We get bored we head into town or better yet...walk out the front door and go hiking or canoe out on the river. I'll take pictures and John will be so proud and happy we did this for ourselves. I mean how often does anyone get to have to pump their own water or build their own fire just in order to cook anymore. it is literally in the middle of woods so we will be surround by the colors of fall. It looks amazing, I think we would technically be in the middle of the Ozark mountains. I am really excited for this and like I said it's already paid for.

October cannot get here fast enough for me now.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome!

    But getting John away from TV? Is that even possible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. An entire weekend without wifi? I'm not sure either of us could survive.

    ReplyDelete